OPEN CALL FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN DO A HEAD- OR SHOULDERSTAND
Are you ready to turn the world upside down? Julidans, the International Festival for Contemporary Dance in Amsterdam, is calling all people that can do a headstand to be part of Woods, a dazzling group performance that is part of the festival programme. We invite you to join an outdoor ‘forest of people’ that will – quite literally – challenge the audience’s perspective.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL...
From 2 to 16 July, the 32nd edition of Julidans will take place. With Internationaal Theater Amsterdam as its festival centre, idiosyncratic dance makers present their latest performances in various theatres in Amsterdam. Additionally, we organize outdoor projects, staged at various squares and streets in Amsterdam.
-|-ABOUT THE WORK...
Woods brings together dance and visual arts to create unique and powerful landscapes in the cities, pursuing the idea of impermanence and instability of the body, nature, climate and collective practices. While upside down, the body inverts space and questions time. For how long can the body resist? For how long can the forest resist?
WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
• Anyone who is able to do a headstand (no matter how long you can stay in this position)
• For example: non-professionals that practice headstand such as students of dance, yoga, hiphop, capoeira, circus and gymnastics, including all genders, colors and ages, to make this a vast forest
Open Call: 14 April – 21 May
Workshops: 6 & 7 July 2023
Performances: 8 & 9 July 2023
• A volunteer allowance;
• The opportunity to visit some of the festival's performances for free or at a discount;
HOW TO APPLY?
Please submit an motivation in response to the following (Maximum 300 words):
1. A description of your headstand skills
2. Short motivation to participate in Woods
3. Your name, telephone number, age and a portrait picture
Applications will be assessed by the Julidans team and the choreographers and need to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before 21 May 2023. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Eefje van den Broek.